The redesign came about after a comprehensive two-year study of consumer habits involving 5,000 participants. This research led to the chips being made 20% bigger and 15% slimmer, while also introducing rounded edges to the chips. These changes not only made the chips simpler to consume but also decreased the amount of waste produced by breaking corners.
Have Doritos Become Thinner Over Time?
Well, the straight answer to this question is yes, Doritos have undoubtedly become thinner.
However, this is not a recent occurrence, so it is a bit puzzling why it still crops up in conversation!
I see so many people saying how disappointed they are, and that Doritos are not the same anymore.
But I can’t find any evidence that any changes have been made since the last major re-development in 1994.
I am not sure how people can do a comparison of the current thickness with previous versions.
Maybe we are imagining it!
Frito-Lay spent $50 million on revamping Doritos after extensive research with consumers.
It’s certainly a possibility that the result allowed the product to be manufactured more cheaply.
Cutting the thickness by 15% requires less raw materials and incurs lower production costs.
But even that doesn’t make sense, as when they reduced the thickness by 15%, they also increased the length by 20%.
Others have said that it was a measure to extend the shelf life of Doritos.
But do thinner chips last longer than a thicker one?
Quite frankly, the whole subject is still a mystery!
Has the Thinning Affected the Experience of Doritos?
So, even if Doritos are thinner, does it make any difference to us, as the consumer?
One impact would be the crunchiness, and in fact, should they more accurately be called crispy rather than crunchy?
Another aspect is that many people eat Doritos with a dip or other toppings.
A thinner texture may mean the chip will break more easily.
They won’t be able to withstand having toppings piled up on them!
And you will be left with more crumbs in the bottom of the bag if they break up in transit.
However, the taste has not significantly changed, and Doritos still seem to be as popular as ever.
Making Doritos At Home
My Final Thoughts
- The thickness of Doritos was reduced in 1994, perhaps due to cost-cutting measures
- It is not possible to compare current Doritos with the previous versions
- The thinning of the chips has been discussed for years but there is no evidence of any recent changes
- Any change in thickness would result in a thinner texture that would break more easily
- Regardless of any thinning, Doritos are still a popular snack and the flavor has not changed
So, Doritos did become slightly thinner in the past, but it didn’t impact their overall taste and they continue to be our favorite cheesy snack!
You may also wish to find out if nachos and Doritos are the same thing.
How do you think the changes in Doritos’ design reflect broader trends in consumer preferences, and what other products have you noticed undergoing similar transformations?
Let us know in the comments below!
Q: Have Doritos become thinner over the years?
- A: Yes, there have been noticeable changes in Doritos’ thickness, partly due to design alterations aimed at improving the overall snacking experience.
- A: The changes are based on extensive market research and consumer feedback, indicating a preference for a slightly thinner chip.
Q: Why did Doritos change their chip size and shape?
- A: The modifications were made to enhance the eating experience by making the chips easier to bite into and reducing the likelihood of corner breakage.
- A: Such changes also reflect an effort to adapt to evolving consumer tastes and preferences for snack foods.
Q: Do the new Doritos break less easily than before?
- A: Yes, the redesign with rounded corners has been effective in reducing the number of broken chips, and enhancing the quality of the product.
- A: Consumers have reported a noticeable improvement in the durability of the chips during consumption and transport.
Q: How has consumer feedback influenced Doritos’ product changes?
- A: Consumer insights have been crucial, guiding the brand in fine-tuning the texture and shape of the chips for a better snacking experience.
- A: Doritos actively gathers and analyzes customer opinions through surveys and market studies to inform their product development strategies.
Q: Are there any plans for further changes to Doritos in the future?
- A: While specific plans are often kept confidential, continuous innovation and adaptation to consumer preferences suggest that further adjustments are always a possibility.
- A: The brand remains committed to meeting the evolving tastes and needs of its consumers, indicating that future changes could occur based on feedback and market trends.